2017 Ruffnecks Welcome New Talent, Fresh Look
The 14U Ruffnecks hit the “reset” button with the addition of several new players. The new blood provides depth, talent, and competition to a roster that was injury plagued and undermanned last season. The 2017 Ruffnecks 14U squad features a number of talented returners as well. A significant number of 9th graders on the roster means that the 8th graders will get a ton of experience in the early going of March thru May. The program turns up the competitive heat for 2017, particularly once Memorial Day arrives. The 14U Ruffnecks will be participating against older competitive teams, including at the 15U and 16U level. The team will also compete in high end 14U tournaments (see schedule page). Developmentally, the 14U roster will be challenged. Coach Chaput brings the experience of working in the program and under Coach Novio during the highly successful 2016 season. Coach Novio will look in on the program as an advisor in 2017 while Chappy takes the reigns.
The 14U Ruffnecks program accelerates the developmental process by providing an intensive, tournament-oriented schedule that demands considerable travel. Over the years we have found that there is a significant separation of talent at the 14-year old level. The program seeks players who are committed to challenging themselves beyond the comfort level of established roles they may currently have in town or middle school programs. The 14U program is committed to preparing players who will make significant contributions to their high school programs. The competition increases considerably during the 14U season.
2017 Ruffnecks 14U Roster
# Last Name First Name Positions School Class Home Town
6 Diaz Raul C, 3B Renaissance 2021 Springfield, MA
13 Fallon Matt IF, RHP Milton HS 2020 Milton, MA
15 Giarnese Eric OF, RHP Dudley Middle 2021 Dudley, MA
14 Hill Sam IF, RHP Knox Trail Jr. HS 2021 Northborough, MA
8 Kuperman Greg OF, C, RHP Newton South HS 2020 Newton, MA
9 Leimkuhler Tommy IF, RHP Acton-Boxborough HS 2020 Acton, MA
45 Lucas Max OF, LHP Holy Name 2020 Upton, MA
49 Masteralexis Justin 1B, OF LHP Amherst 2021 Amherst, MA
27 McAllister Levi C, IF Concord Christian 2021 Concord, NH
10 McChesney Jackson OF, RHP Wellesley Middle 2021 Wellesley, MA
22 McCullough Jesse IF Lincoln-Sudbury 2021 Sudbury, MA
24 Mexico Sebastian OF, RHP Overlook Middle 2021 Baldwinville, MA
44 Neff Trevor 3B, OF, RHP 2020 Stow, MA
12 Pelc Andy C, IF Hatfield Middle 2021 Whately, MA
20 Rosenfield Sammy RHP, 1B Grafton 2020 N. Grafton, MA
1 Rubin Joey IF Charlton Middle 2021 Charlton, MA
Coaching Staff Brian Chaput Head Coach 2nd Year Ted Novio Advisor 10th Year TBD Sam August Coach 4th Year
New Candidates and Selection to the 14U Ruffnecks
The 14U Ruffnecks are comprised of a core of returning players and new talent that demonstrate athleticism and passion for the game of baseball. We continue to prioritize “baseball IQ.” We look for new 14 year old Ruffnecks each year who will put pressure on returners and who add to the mix of talent. We are very deliberate with our selection at 14U. The roster expands to approximately 15-17 players, all of whom are expected to find roles and contribute. New Candidates are encouraged to participate in Fall Baseball or to join the program during Winter Workouts. Inquiries may call the office directly at (508) 409-4105. We do not hold traditional “tryouts” for new 14 year olds, yet we encourage highly motivated and talented players to join the program.
Developmental and Competitive Objectives
- The 14U Ruffnecks is a high intensity, 4 month program for baseball players who are high school varsity-bound athletes: April through end of July.
- Our coaches manage a roster of approximately 15-17 players. Each player must work to define his role. Our schedule demands a good sized roster.
- We use our own indoor facility during the winter along with weekend workouts at Harvard University.
- In April and May we participate in NEBA play. The Northeast Baseball Alliance is comprised of highly competitive travel baseball programs.
- Coaches expect players to run, hit, and throw regularly, both in the context of the program and on their own.
- Beginning Memorial Weekend we become a tournament/travel program, focusing primarily on tournament play with extensive travel.
- In June and July we expect all players to be fully committed to the Ruffnecks. It is inappropriate to play for multiple teams in the context of this program.